Skype for Business Server 2015 Standard Edition
- Pool1 in Production (Prod) DataCenter
- Pool2 in Disaster Recovery (DR) DataCenter
During a deployment of Skype for Business (SFB) , we had already deployed a Standard Edition server in the production network without issues. As per the requirement we needed to deploy a secondary SFB server in the DR network.
We enabled the bi-directional firewall ports between the 2 SFB server in Prod and DR
We received the following error:
Topology Builder could not copy the topology from the Central Management store. Cannot read topology. Verify that the data is accessible
We ran the Get-CSTopology cmdlet in SFB and received the same error message.
Here is what we did for troubleshooting:
- Verified firewall rules were enabled correctly between the 2 network segments
- Performed a Netstat-a | More to verify what ports were being published
- We found that the 1433, 1434 ports for SQL were not in the list
- We opened the SQL Server Configuration manager -> Expanded SQL Server Network Configuration -> Selected Protocols for RTC -> Double Clicked TCP/IP
- I noticed that the Static TCP Port was blank
- I then scrolled down to see the dynamic port and it was set to : 50609
- I went back to the cmd prompt and noticed that the port 50609 was being listened on
- Repeated the steps for RTCLocal and LyncLocal and provided those ports to the FW team to open the ports
- Once the ports were open we were able to successfully connect to the CMS server and complete the installation.
Alternately to make things more static (in the event of a server reboot where the port MAY change although i haven’t seen it from multiple reboots) we can configure the SQL Instances RTC, RTCLocal, LyncLocal
- We open the SQL Server Configuration manager -> Expanded SQL Server Network Configuration -> Selected Protocols for RTC -> Double Clicked TCP/IP
- TCP Dynamic Ports: Remove the 0
- TCP Port: Add a 0
- Scroll down to the bottom under IPALL
- TCP Dynamic Ports: Remove the port Number
- TCP Port: Change the port to a static number to be used on the server be sure that it is unique ie 1432 etc.
- Click Ok
- Repeat the Steps for RTCLocal, LyncLocal
- Open the services console and restart the 3 SQL Services.