Lync Server 2013 -Front-end Standard Edition
Lync Server 2013- Edge
Skype for Business In-Place upgrade was being performed , the Front-end server was successfully upgraded. The edge server was upgraded to Skype for Business in the topology and received the replicated event.
The Edge server SQL was upgraded to Service Pack 2, .Net 3.0 and Windows8.1-KB2982006-x64 were installed and the server was rebooted. The Skype for Business Server Edge installation was started and during the Uninstall of Roles an error occurred:
Error: Error returned while installing Server.msi(Feature_Server_Edge, Feature_Server_Update, RegistrarStoreUpdate), code 1638. Please consult log at C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\1\Remove-Server.msi-Feature_Server_Edge,Feature_Server_Update,RegistrarStoreUpdate-[2016_01_31][16_41_37].log
- Exit the Skype for Business In-Place upgrade
- Go to Start-> Control Panel -> Programs and Features
- Find Lync Server 2013, Edge Server
- Right Click and select Uninstall
- Once the Lync Server 2013, Edge Server is completed removed
- Close Programs and Features
- Re-start the Skype for Business Server installation.
You will now be able to move past the Error 1638 and continue with your Skype for Business In-Place upgrade.