Lync Server 2013 On-Premise
- Front-End Pool
- Edge Pool
During a SQL hardening exercise to ensure that all local SQL Express servers were up to date and adhere to the corporate policies we encountered an error :
“An error was encountered when executing the stored procedure that logs errors to the back-end database.
Execution Result: 0, Native Error: 6005, Severity: 14, Line Number: 1, Sql State: 2, ODBC State: 42000, Error Text: [# [Microsoft]
SHUTDOWN is in progress. #].
Cause: Possible issues with back-end database. Resolution: Ensure the back-end is functioning correctly.”
- Tried to connect using SQL Management Studio to the Front-end Server\RTCLocal to see if there was something wrong with the databases however we could not connect and received the following error
- Opened SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Restarted the SQL Express Service for RTCLOCAL
- Tried to connect using SQL Management Studio to the Front-end Server\RTCLocal and was now able to connect.
- Repeated the above steps for Front-end Server\LyncLocal
- The rebooted the server
- Once the services came back up the error messages had been resolved and we were able to perform all Lync Server 2013 functions.
As it turns out one of the hardening functions hides the SQL Express instance so that the services were unable to see or reach the SQL Express database instance, once we made the database instance available again the services were able to connect.